The Sex Educational Supplement is a new termly e-magazine for teachers and other professionals involved in sex and relationships education. All back issues are available for members to download from our web-portal.
The Puberty Issue
The sixth issue of the Sex Educational Supplement was published in March 2016. This special issue, supported by the Wellcome Trust is available free of charge. Please complete the form below and a link will be sent to you from which you can download the magazine.
The Gender Issue
The fifth issue of the Sex Educational Supplement was published in September 2015 and is free to Sex Education Forum members or available for £4.99 from the NCB web-shop.
The Gender Issue includes:
- quiz and infographics to help you navigate data about how gender shapes young people’s experiences
- glossary of useful terms for educators and definitions 'matching' activity for use with pupils
- views from teachers and an interview with the End Violence Against Women Coalition
- what to consider when planning single gender sessions in SRE
- lesson ideas for all Key Stages with links to a wide range of resources
The HIV Issue
The fourth issue of the Sex Educational Supplement was published in November 2014 and is free to Sex Education Forum members or available for £4.99 from the NCB web-shop.
The HIV Issue includes:
- explanation of the facts relating to HIV prevention, transmission, testing and treatment
- eight pages of lesson ideas for Key Stages 1 - 5
- top tips for teachers from young people living with HIV and affected by it
- advice on managing a disclosure of HIV positive status in school
- a book review of 'AIDS: Don't die of prejudice'
"What an excellent edition of the e-magazine! The facts about HIV are very informative and the teaching/resource ideas a welcome addition to what I already use. I really appreciate the teaching ideas for the younger years that, as with most aspects of SRE, start with teaching from a sound platform of knowing about bodies and how to stay happy and healthy". Yoan Reed, Teaching Lifeskills
The LGBT Issue
The third issue of the magazine was published in July 2014 and is free to Sex Education Forum members or available for £4.99 from the NCB web-shop.
The LGBT Issue includes:
The Consent Issue
The second issue of the magazine was published in January 2014 and is free to Sex Education Forum members or available for £4.99 from the NCB web-shop.
The Consent Issue includes:
- ‘take the quiz’ to help you brush up on your knowledge about consent, including legal facts
- interview with Dr Meg Barker, author of Rewriting the Rules
- findings from our survey of 890 young people about SRE and consent
- eight pages of lesson ideas and resources to integrate learning about consent in high quality SRE at all Key Stages
- troubleshooting section with advice on how to address classroom disclosure
The Pornography Issue
The first issue of the e-magazine was published in April 2013 and is themed 'The Pornography Issue'. This issue is free and can be viewed from the Sex Education Forum web-site (above) or in flipsnack, which is suitable if you are accessing the internet using a phone / hand-held device. Links are clickable from tablets and larger devices. Read the media release which accompanied the first edition and our 'myth-buster' on pornography and SRE.
The Sex Educational Supplement is a free benefit for network+ and core members of the Sex Education Forum and is the termly e-magazine for teachers and other professionals involved in sex and relationships education.
Membership will enable you to network with other SRE professionals and to access all back issues of The Sex Educational Supplement and other resources from the members web portal.
If you would like to contribute editorial for future editions, please contact the editor, Lucy Emmerson: firstname.lastname@example.org