Remote access one day foundation course for teachers / RSE leads in special schools working with learners with additional needs.
The session will be run remotely, with opportunities to learn from colleagues, and a full set of course materials made available digitally. The programme for the day begins runs from 9.30am - 3.30 and includes conferencing with the facilitator, specified time for individual activities and a lunch break.
SEND - Special schools - RSE
Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) will be statutory in all schools from September 2020. This course provides a step-by-step approach to delivering an effective, compliant and inclusive programme in your special school or for your SEND learners.
This SEND specialist course is for PSHE leads, SENCO, teaching staff and members of the senior leadership team in special schools, and who support learners with additional and unique learning needs in mainstream schools.
Participants will explore the implications of statutory status and identify realistic, achievable goals for their school. The session considers specific challenges faced by learners with special educational needs and disabilities, and supports teachers and staff to create inclusive, accessible and needs-led relationships and sex education. This course is supported by a suite of tools and resources.
In this session we will:
• Explore the new legislation and what it means for schools, including guidance, Ofsted requirements, and safeguarding
• Examine ways to facilitate consultation with staff, pupils and parents
• Identify good practice and understand how to assess, monitor and evaluate teaching and learning in RSE
• Explore teacher values and specific considerations for RSE in the SEND classroom
• Increase teacher confidence in developing age appropriate curriculum for learners with SEND in primary and secondary settings, including what to teach and when, and how to answer learners’ questions
• Examine ways to approach topics such as touch and consent, language and vocabulary, and how to ensure an LGBTQ+ inclusive curriculum
• Create a toolkit for lesson planning, by exploring existing resources and participating in group planning activities
• Share experiences and best practice with colleagues, and develop your network
What participants say:
“I found all of it really useful. Having the statutory requirements explained, looking at ways to put it into practise and meeting other people with similar challenges. I feel really confident.”
“Really useful and informative, pitched at all levels of knowledge”
“Very impressive delivery covering so much good and useful material”
“This came just at the right time - it has galvanised my vision and I now feel confident about the legislation”
I am a Sex Educataion Forum member, does the members discount apply to anything else?
Yes! As a member of the Sex Education Forum, you can get £25 off the price of all training courses as well as our members’ event and our national conferences. Please see our events page or our training calendar to find out more.
Do I have to purchase membership to qualify for the discount?
Yes. You must purchase Sex Education Forum membership prior to booking on to our training or conferences at the discounted rate. You can purchase membership through our website.
Can I pay by invoice?
Yes. While completing your booking, select 'pay by invoice' from the payment method drop-down menu. Invoices incur a £25 administration charge. Once 'pay by invoice' has been selected we will contact you to ensure correct invoicing details.
Is it OK if the name on my ticket or registration doesn't match the person who attends?
Yes, tickets are transferable. Please note that all course materials will be sent to the email address listed in the booking.