Outside the Box is an early intervention suitable for targeted use with young people in order to support healthy relationships and positive sexual health. In order to use the Outside the Box resource, practitioners attend a training course, offered remotely across 2 days. Participants need to be able to attend both days in full.
We are now taking bookings for May 2021
- Day 1: Wednesday 5th May 2021 (9.30 - 3.30)
- Day 2: Wednesday 12th May 2021 (9.30 - 3.30)
- Community of practice support session (optional): Wednesday 9th June 2021 (14.00-15.00)
Who is the training suitable for?
Delegates on the course will be practitioners working with vulnerable young people and with access to young people with whom they can deliver workshops or education sessions to over a series of 8 – 10 sessions. The course is suitable for multi-disciplinary practitioners such as youth workers, social workers, teachers and nurses.
What is Outside the Box
Outside the Box is a personal development, relationships and sex education (RSE) programme for vulnerable young people. The programme comprises eight interactive workshop sessions, delivered by specially trained practitioners, to small groups of young people (or individuals) aged from 11 – 18 years old. The sessions, written by the Sex Education Forum togtether with young people, cover a wide range of issues including consent, sexual health and services, gender, sexual orientation, relationships and sexual exploitation.
In order to use the Outside the Box toolkit, practitioners must attend the training sessions. The training focuses on developing core skills and competencies for delivering high quality relationships and sex education, with a fresh approach to tackling issues such as power, consent, sexuality, gender, and sexual health. The full toolkit is provided to trained practitioners.
The course will provide you with:
- Understanding of best practice in delivering relationships and sex education (RSE) with vulnerable young people
- Practice using a range of methods and approaches to engage young people and for learning to be safe
- Strategies for delivering Outside the Box in a relevant setting, including safeguarding considerations
- Tools to assess young people before they participate in Outside the Box, and to review impact with young people
- Hard copy and digital copy of Outside the Box manual and resources which contains a full set of session plans
Community of practice
To support practitioners in using Outside the Box an optional community of practice support session is offered 4 weeks after the training. This is an opportunity to gain peer support and ongoing learning after the training, with the aim of ensuring high quality delivery of Outside the box with young people in your setting.
About the Sex Education Forum
The Sex Education Forum is the leading national authority on Relationships and Sex Education, connecting organisations and individuals with the latest practice, research and policy information.
Quality Assurance: Outside the Box Facilitator Training is CPD certified. Attendance certificates will be provided.
Further information about Outside the Box is provided in the downloadable documents below.