Do you lead or teach RSHE in a primary, secondary or special school?
Would you like space to reflect on Relationships and Sex Education through a racial justice lens, working with peers from other schools and finding practical actions to deliver RSE which better meets the needs of BAME children and young people and their families?
Can you attend 4 x 90 minute ‘CPD’ webinars in Spring term 2021?
‘Making Space in RSE’ is an innovation project funded by Public Health England and run by Sex Education Forum, in partnership with Bristol City Council. We are recruiting 20 teachers drawn from a mix of schools in Bristol and the South West, both with a high proportion of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) pupils and those with an average proportion of BAME pupils. All teachers with a RSHE role are encouraged to apply. The participation of BAME teachers and white teachers will be supported.
The ‘Making Space’ CPD programme will support the group of 20 teachers recruited to:
• Carry out parental engagement and pupil voice activities about RSE to give an affirmative voice to BAME lived experience
• Learn from local community organisations and national expertise about topics within RSHE that are impacted by race and racism, thus informing curriculum planning across the subject.
• Connect a racial justice lens in RSE with wider school action on racism, equalities and inclusion
• Contribute to a ‘Making Space in RSE’ toolkit for national publication
- Support of your line manager / school SLT
- 4 x 30 minutes pre-webinar reading
- Participation in 4 x 90 minute digital webinars (using zoom on the dates listed below)
- Participation in pre and post programme evaluation survey (10 minutes per survey)
- Optional – writing blog, contributing to and commenting on toolkit
Participation is free of charge.
CPD programme dates
Tuesday 26th January 2021 (1.30 – 3.00pm): Parental consultation with an assets-based approach to involving BAME parents
Tuesday 9th February 2021 (1.30 – 3.00pm): Pupil involvement: understanding needs of BAME pupils
Tuesday 23rd February 2021 (1.30 – 3.00pm): RSE curriculum – thinking with a racial justice lens
Tuesday 9th March 2021 (1.30 – 3.00pm): Our identities as RSE teachers
Benefits of participation
- Meeting statutory requirements for RSHE
- Supports community cohesion
- Equalities and inclusion
- Supporting accessibility and personalisation of learning
- May be used as part of your internal CPD and relevant to your Upper Pay Scale (UPS) application, in agreement with your senior leadership team