This evidence briefing sets out the views and experiences of parents in relation to the relationships and sex education (RSE) of their children – both at home and at school. The thoughts and experiences of children and young people about their parents’ role in RSE are presented in parallel.
The briefing addresses the following questions:
- What is sex and relationships education?
- Who do children and young people want to learn from?
- What role do parents see for themselves in RSE?
- What role do parents see for schools in RSE?
- What role do parents take in reality?
- What enables or limits good communication?
- What support do parents want?
- What impact do parents have on their children’s sexual behaviour?