Back to top

#5 What type of schools does the new legislation apply to?

The Children and Social Work Act 2017 introduces new legislation on relationships and sex education in all schools in England. 

The new legislation makes relationships and sex education (RSE) a compuslory requirement for all secondary schools including academies, free schools, independent schools and maintained schools. All primary schools are required to provide relationships education. The new legislation includes special schools. 

The legislation is set out in Chapter 4, Section 34 of the Children and Social Work Act 2017. New government guidance and regulations provide further detail, and will apply to all schools from September 2020.