Booking is now open for our Summer 2024 training programme for subject-leads and teachers aspiring to specialise in RSE in special schools.
This in-depth programme is designed for teachers of RSE in special schools working with learners with moderate to severe learning disabilities, and Autistic Spectrum Conditions.
Starting with a welcome session on 2 May 2024, this online programme is built around a core of three full days of training during Summer 2024. Details of the programme structure and content are provided below, and a flyer is available (see below) to download and share.
The programme includes:
- Welcome session to meet your fellow participants, tailor objectives for the course and develop working together agreement
- Three full days of SEND specialist RSE training delivered by Senior RSE Specialist Rachael Baker
- Activities to carry out in school between the full day events, to further develop your training experience and support you to cascade your learning to colleagues
- A final session where participants will bring and share their experiences of delivering RSE
- You will also receive slides of all sessions, guidance and ideas to try in the classroom, opportunity to have your questions answered, and signposting to useful resources.
Teachers participating in the programme will be supported to:
- Become skilled in developing an inclusive and comprehensive RSE curriculum for learners with significant additional needs, including what to teach and how to teach it, how to approach 'tricky' topics, and how to ensure a consistent and cohesive school-wide approach.
- Gain understanding of the statutory RSHE guidance and the particular considerations for learners with SEND, considering best practice for effective RSE and the research evidence underpinning the curriculum.
- Take a relationships-focussed and rights-based lens to the curriculum, supporting you to develop a meaningful curriculum fostering independence, and developing skills to navigate adult relationships when your learners are old enough and ready.
- Gain confidence and skill in selecting, adapting and creating classroom resources.
- Become a successful RSE champion in your school, bringing together your school community including families and support staff.
- Form a community of practice with RSE leads in similar settings and share ideas and best practice.
- Work closely with RSE expert and SEND specialist, Rachael Baker, with opportunity to address specific aspects of your provision
Structure of the course:
All sessions will be remote, delivered via Zoom
2 May 2024 - 3.30pm – 4.30pm
Welcome session: an opportunity to meet your colleagues, tailor objectives for the programme, create our Working Together agreement and receive pre-course activities and reading
15 May 2024 - 9am – 3 pm
One Day course: Creating inclusive and accessible RSE for learners with SEND
6 June 2024 - 9am – 3 pm
One Day course: Taking a rights-based approach to RSE – bringing your whole school and families together
18 June 2024 - 9am – 3 pm
One day course: Planning and delivering meaningful relationships and sex education
10 July 2024 - 1pm – 3pm TBC
Final session: Sharing practice, reflections and next steps
Cost per participant: £575
How to book your place:
Email [email protected] to start the booking process. You will then receive a link to an electronic booking form. Payment for the programme is via invoice direct to your school.
What previous 'Developing RSE Specialism in SEND schools' participants have said:
Most relevant and appropriate training I have ever been on. Incredibly useful and even while still on the course it has made a measurable impact on my own teaching practice and the knowledge and skills I have passed on to other colleagues.
[The trainer was] very knowledgeable, realistic [and] understanding of teaching roles.